SPIRIT OF 1896 MONUMENT

The Diwa ng 1896 Monument is located on N. Domingo Street corner Pinaglabanan Road in San
Juan, Metro Manila, Philippines. The shrine has a statue of a woman supported by two children,
holding up a bolo, or a machete. This was built to commemorate the opening salvo of the 1896
Philippine Revolution, when the Katipuneros lay siege to an arms storage facility, called the
“Almacen” that belonged to the Spanish Colonial Government. It is this statue that is depicted
on the city’s seal.